St. Mark Church in Zagreb’s Upper town

St. Mark Church in Zagreb’s upper town is the middle of the square that is named after the church.

Outside, on the northwest wall of the church lies the oldest coat of arms of Zagreb with the year 1499 engraved on it (the original is kept in the Zagreb City Museum).

Our Zagreb, video by Matko M. Švarc
Our Zagreb, video by Matko M. Švarc

The Gothic composition of the portal consists of fifteen effigies placed in eleven shallow niches. On top are the statues of Joseph and Mary with the infant Jesus, and below them, one can see St. Mark and the Lion; the Twelve Apostles are placed on both sides of the portal (four wooden statues replaced the original ones which had been destroyed). In its artistic composition and the number of statues, this portal is the richest and the most valuable Gothic portal in southern Central Europe.

On the roof, tiles are laid so that they represent the coat of arms of Zagreb (white castle on red background) and Triune Kingdom of Croatia, Slavonia and Dalmatia.

Croatian Attractions – Highlights of your holiday!

St.-Mark-Church-Zagreb roof
St.-Mark-Church-Zagreb roof

Related Posts

Menu
Show Buttons
Hide Buttons